Thursday, June 11, 2009

just another brick in the wall...


I think everyone feels like this at some point. Just another brick in the wall. Nothing special or significant, a mould into what we are told to be or want to be or force ourselves to be - often a result of our conformist society.
I walked past a church the other day that had a sign in the front boldly saying "Stop doubting...and BELIEVE!". As if doubting is the worst thing ever and apparently it's just THAT easy to believe. Believe what?!? I think that any beliefs should come hand in hand with doubts and questions. My own incredible amount of doubting and questioning is apparently not a good thing - according to the sign on the church - and I disagree whole heartedly. I feel like a lot of what the church has encouraged is to become just another brick on the wall...to conform and say all the right things at all the right times. Yet, what about asking the tough questions in order to figure out who we are and why we are here? There is no happiness or satisfaction in conformity, as this picture portrays. Only more brokenness. And I fully intend on continuing my journey being free to ask those questions, and being free to doubt. And in the mean time, I think those people at the church should change their sign. :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

So go in and tell them. Ask them why they fear doubt. What's the worst that could happen?