Sunday, June 28, 2009

Today was one of those days where I felt encouraged by my co-workers and customers. My chosen summer workplace is Stella's Cafe...in the heart of the beautiful land of Wolseley. :) There are some really good people there...chefs, dishwashers, servers, managers...and I enjoy working with them. I sometimes notice how we tend to focus on the the negative in people and forget/don't open our eyes to the good things about them. Sure, in every workplace there is going to be frustrations and moodiness (and I am sure I've been the reason for that a few times...long days can sure bring out the best in you!). The culture of Wolseley is really growing on me...I have noticed many things about this area of the city in the last 10 months and more now that I'm working in a local cafe. Having lived in other areas of Winnipeg before, I see that this is a very open and accepting place. I notice a difference between levels of openness and personal expression and what is culturally "acceptable" here as opposed to what is not in other places. Not that one place is good and one is bad, I just think that the openness I've seen here is refreshing and it would be great to see it in the other parts of Winnipeg.

On a side note - It is quite fascinating to me how you don't have to go too far to see many different cultures here in the city...and quite sad how many middle/upper class people from other areas of Winnipeg have never ventured the 10 minute drive to see the poverty and homelessness of our downtown/northend. hmmm...

Anywho...so here we are...almost into July. I wish I could live each moment as it comes, yet time seems to somehow be swept away in a blink of an eye. Scary, hey?

I feel like having a bonfire and listening to the Beatles. Sounds fun. :)

No comments: