Sunday, July 5, 2009

a different kind of adventure...

Today I am beginning my very first solo camping trip. Off to the beautiful outdoors...just me, my tent and the dog :) She'll protect me from the bears...or run from them...lol. I've been wanting to do this for a few summers already, but it just hasn't happened yet. So I figured now is a great time having the next 3 days off work.

There are several reasons for my taking a few days to be alone. Part of it is for the reason that it scares me. I do love my alone time, but I often have realized that I get uncomfortable after a prolonged period of time by myself. Sitting in my thoughts is something I have been trying to figure out how to do without distracting myself soon afterwards. So, I think its important to get outside my comfort zone and do something that stretches me. I want to allow stillness and quietness to be my focus. I want to sit in my pain and be broken and allow myself to feel...maybe I'll learn through it or it will at least teach me more about why I am me. (which is something as of late that I have been seriously wondering).

But really, when it all comes down to it...I just want to be simple. I love having a simplistic lifestyle and not having much more than a backpack and bed...I think one day i'll end up a wandering hobo living in the mountains...anyone wanna join!? There is just something so special about escaping the chaos and being in nature and sleeping under the stars...and not doing much other than reading, journaling, walking, thinking.

I know I'm not going to figure out everything...maybe even not a couple little things I want to figure out...and I have to be okay with that. I wish I could get all the answers to the rediculous amounts of questions I have right now, but I have to be okay with sitting in my frustration and waiting...even for a long time. This camping trip is just one more adventures in the list of things in my life that have shaped me/will shape me and help me discover who I am - whatever that means.


So I am looking forward to reading the rest of "Through Painted Deserts" and "Searching for God knows what" - both by Donald Miller...brilliant author..."Blue Like Jazz" was very good...I was impressed by his blunt honesty and openness and vulnerbility. So, maybe I'll post some quotes later on from the next few.

Peace out. for now.


Onwards to adventure...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

enjoy!