Thursday, October 8, 2009

crackers, dates, and creamed corn

There is an interesting phenomenon that occurs when one has just $4.00 to their name.
ONE = me
$4.00 = as much as I have owned for the last several weeks

This picture of a desert kinda reminds me of me. hmmmm...well, at least in the aspect that I long to buy things that are only for "rich" people (things like new shoes, a meal out, or even the occasional package of meat). I guess I feel like those things might fill some sort of need...like I would be able to put a picture of a lush green forest up there instead of a desert as soon as I would be wealthy enough to actually own these items.

Over the past week or so especially, myself and my dear roomie Jennie, have been stumped by our lack of meal choices...I have often come to the conclusion that, yet again, today's supper will be dates, with crackers and a side of creamed corn. yum. I have longed to have a real meal. One that comes out of the oven and makes the house smell like Heaven. But I have realized that those days are yet to come. And for now, at least Jennie and I have resorted to the fact that we will one day laugh about all this and remember our "poorer" days. Living each day with only a few dollars makes you appreciate all the more when you can actually go to the grocery store and buy an abundance of colorful foods and sweets and yummy tasting dinner foods.

The other day I walked past good old Starbucks and found myself desiring a hot drink. I looked in at all the fortunate people drinking their specialty drinks and I was quite jealous. I wanted a specialty drink. And I sat in a few moments of feeling sorry for myself and quickly asked "why would I need a specialty drink?". This is just my rich society showing us what is supposed to be "normal" when really, all it is is abnormal when you compare it to the big picture of the world and what other people have.

But sometimes, I still would like to sit with my book and hot drink and brownie and enjoy a calm atmosphere. I think after all these days of dates and crackers and creamed corn, it will taste even better than before. :)

So, I should be studying for a test tomorrow morning. But I feel like a great procrastinator tonight. I already did a paper, so I am rewarding myself with not doing anything for a while, but now I'm realizing that it's getting closer to midnight and I know nothing at all that I'm supposed to know for the test. uhh ohhh.

Well...until next time. :)

2 comments:

Jennie said...

You know, dates and crackers and creamed corn didn't seem so funny before, but reading them in this context is actually causing me to giggle at the strange resourcefulness that emerges when one is in survival mode. How did you get back up to $4? I thought you were at $1?

I hope your test goes well today.

Lets plan for a specialty drink date...I'm thinking 2011.

CanuckFlyer said...

Good work on the taking things in perspective. How do you have a test on a saturday morning? I hope you have a wonderful home cooked meal for thanksgiving!