Monday, October 6, 2008

I swam today! For the first time since I think January...how sad is that? I'm trying to gather up words to explain what it was like for me to be in that atmosphere again. The last time I jumped in that pool, was 4 years ago (rediculous how fast time flies, it feel like yesterday) - getting ready for olympic trials. My life was so different back then...stressful, a good amount of pressure on me...uggg..but more than the tough things, it was an incredible time of my life. This is why I can enter the swimming 'world' again and not have only negative thoughts (as some of my friends do who have quit as well). I am so thankful that I didn't end on only a bad note and that I can still enjoy swimming. I go through times where I am totally fine not going to the pool for long periods of time (hence the last 9 months), but then other times its like I would do anything to smell chlorine (haha..only swimmers would understand), to feel the water rushing past you as quickly as you allow it. Its incredible. I felt so consumed by peace, and that oh so familiar sense of being 'lost' in this world where nothing is around me but the splashing of rushing water, the sounds of echoing from the other swimmers and lifeguards, its awesome. The only downside is that I am out of shape - its sad. I wish I could snap my fingers and be back at my speed before, but I know that will never happen, but its fun to just be in the water again and swim for fun. Its frustrating to try to do what I used to do and it doesn't come...ahhh...oh well, its something all us ex-swimmers experience :) I enjoyed having my own lane and seeing the older men swimming next to me with their funny strokes that sometimes I wonder how they stay afloat! But I have such a high respect for them coming to the pool still and keeping it up :)

No comments: